*A print of this collage is currently on display at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport near Concourse A through January 31, 2018.
This is my second American Flag collage. Perhaps I’m starting a series? The first one is titled, "Freedom Flag". For this collage, I'm calling it "First Ladies Flag" and it features inspirational quotes from various First Ladies. The quotes I looked for are mostly for women about living up to their potential. I tried to find things that I would want my niece to be inspired by.
You will find quotes from Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, Dolly Madison, Lady Bird Johnson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, Pat Nixon, Roslyn Carter, Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Melania Trump. I tried to find one from Edith Wilson, but only could find one about her that made sense. I felt she was important because she was truly the first female president of the U.S, or so it is rumored*.
Here are a few quotes to look for in the collage:
- “We should all do something to right the wrongs that we see and not just complain about them.” - Jacqueline Kennedy
- The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our disposition not our circumstances.” - Martha Washington
- “You must do the things you think you cannot do” - Eleanor Roosevelt
- “There is only one secret, and that is the power we all have in forming our own destinies.” - Dolly Madison
- “You know, it’s kind of hard to tell an independent woman what to do” - Betty Ford
*For those not familiar with her story, basically Edith Wilson assumed all presidential matters when her husband, Woodrow had a stoke while in office. A fun book I recommend is Presidential Wives, an Anecdotal History by Paul F. Boller, Jr.